Under close supervision of a physical therapist or physical therapy assistant, performs only delegated, selected or routine tasks in specific situations. These duties include preparing the patient and the treatment area.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Cleans and organizes work area and disinfects equipment after treatment.
- Instructs, motivates, safeguards, or assists patients practicing exercises or functional activities, under direction of medical staff.
- Records treatment given and equipment used.
- Administers active or passive manual therapeutic exercises, therapeutic massage, or heat, light, sound, water, or electrical modality treatments, such as ultrasound.
- Transports patients to and from treatment areas, using wheelchairs or providing standing support.
- Changes linens, such as bed sheets and pillow cases.
- Secures patients into or onto therapy equipment.
- Schedules patient appointments with physical therapists and coordinates therapists' schedules.
- Observes patients during treatment to compile and evaluate data on patients' responses and progress and reports to physical therapist.
- Confers with physical therapy staff or others to discuss and evaluate patient information for planning, modifying, or coordinating treatment.