Designs, measures, fits, and adapts lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assists client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assists client with selecting frames, measuring for size of eyeglasses and coordinating frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepares work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames and verifies exactness of finished product. Adjusts frame and lens position to fit client, shaping or reshaping frames as necessary. Includes contact lens opticians.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Evaluates prescriptions in conjunction with clients' vocational and avocational visual requirements.
- Verifies that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Recommends specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Measures clients' bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
- Sells goods such as contact lenses, spectacles, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
- Assists clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensures that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Heats, shapes, or bends plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Shows customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Determines clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
- Maintains records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.