Prepares and cooks food in a fast food restaurant with a limited menu. Duties of these cooks are limited to preparation of a few basic items and normally involve operating large-volume single-purpose cooking equipment.
This career is part of the Hospitality & Tourism cluster Restaurants, Food and Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Maintains sanitation, health, and safety standards in work areas.
- Cleans food preparation areas, cooking surfaces, and utensils.
- Verifies that prepared food meets requirements for quality and quantity.
- Cooks and packages batches of food, such as hamburgers and fried chicken, which are prepared to order or kept warm until sold.
- Prepares specialty foods such as pizzas, fish and chips, sandwiches, and tacos, following specific methods that usually require short preparation time.
- Operates large-volume cooking equipment such as grills, deep-fat fryers, or griddles.
- Reads food order slips or receives verbal instructions as to food required by patron, and prepares and cooks food according to instructions.
- Measures ingredients required for food items being prepared.
- Takes food and drink orders and receives payment from customers.
- Cleans, stocks, and restocks workstations and display cases.