Creates original artwork using any of a wide variety of media and techniques.
This career is part of the Arts, A/V Technology and Communication cluster Visual and Design Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Uses materials such as pens and ink, watercolors, charcoal, oil, or computer software to create artwork.
- Integrates and develops visual elements, such as line, space, mass, color, and perspective, to produce desired effects, such as the illustration of ideas, emotions, or moods.
- Confers with clients, editors, writers, art directors, and other interested parties regarding the nature and content of artwork to be produced.
- Submits preliminary or finished artwork or project plans to clients for approval, incorporating changes as necessary.
- Maintains portfolios of artistic work to demonstrate styles, interests, and abilities.
- Creates finished art work as decoration, or to elucidate or substitute for spoken or written messages.
- Cuts, bends, laminates, arranges, and fastens individual or mixed raw and manufactured materials and products to form works of art.
- Monitors events, trends, and other circumstances, researches specific subject areas, attends art exhibitions, and reads art publications to develop ideas and keep current on art world activities.
- Studies different techniques to learn how to apply them to artistic endeavors.
- Renders drawings, illustrations, and sketches of buildings, manufactured products, or models, working from sketches, blueprints, memory, models, or reference materials.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.