Under close supervision of an occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant, performs only delegated, selected or routine tasks in specific situations. These duties include preparing the patient and treatment room.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Observes patients' attendance, progress, attitudes, and accomplishments and records and maintains information in client records.
- Encourages patients and attends to their physical needs to facilitate the attainment of therapeutic goals.
- Reports to supervisors or therapists, verbally or in writing, on patients' progress, attitudes, attendance, and accomplishments.
- Supervises patients in choosing and completing work assignments or arts and crafts projects.
- Manages intradepartmental infection control and equipment security.
- Evaluates the living skills and capacities of physically, developmentally, or emotionally disabled clients.
- Prepares and maintains work area, materials, and equipment and maintain inventory of treatment and educational supplies.
- Transports patients to and from the occupational therapy work area.
- Instructs patients and families in work, social, and living skills, the care and use of adaptive equipment, and other skills to facilitate home and work adjustment to disability.
- Assists occupational therapists in planning, implementing, and administering therapy programs to restore, reinforce, and enhance performance, using selected activities and special equipment.