Teaches occupational, career and technical, or vocational subjects at the secondary school level in public or private schools.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Teaching and Training pathway.
A person in this career:
- Observes and evaluates students' performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
- Prepares materials and classroom for class activities.
- Maintains accurate and complete student records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulations.
- Establishes and enforces rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among students.
- Instructs and monitors students in the use and care of equipment and materials to prevent injury and damage.
- Instructs students individually and in groups, using various teaching methods, such as lectures, discussions, and demonstrations.
- Establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects and communicate those objectives to students.
- Instructs students in the knowledge and skills required in a specific occupation or occupational field, using a systematic plan of lectures, discussions, audio-visual presentations, and laboratory, shop and field studies.
- Prepares, administers, and grades tests and assignments to evaluate students' progress.
- Plans and conducts activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.