Serves food to diners at counter or from a steam table.
This career is part of the Hospitality & Tourism cluster Restaurants, Food and Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Serves food, beverages, or desserts to customers in such settings as take-out counters of restaurants or lunchrooms, business or industrial establishments, hotel rooms, and cars.
- Prepares bills for food, using cash registers, calculators, or adding machines, and accepts payment or makes change.
- Cooks food or prepares food items, such as sandwiches, salads, and ice cream dishes, using standard formulas or following directions.
- Performs cleaning duties such as sweeping, mopping, and washing dishes, to keep equipment and facilities sanitary.
- Balances receipts and payments in cash registers.
- Wraps menu item such as sandwiches, hot entrees, and desserts for serving or for takeout.
- Scrubs and polishes counters, steam tables, and other equipment, and cleans glasses, dishes, and fountain equipment.
- Replenishes foods at serving stations.
- Brews coffee and tea, and fills containers with requested beverages.
- Takes customers' orders and writes ordered items on tickets, giving ticket stubs to customers when needed to identify filled orders.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.