Maintains a sterile field to provide support for physicians and nurses during endoscopy procedures. Prepares and maintains instruments and equipment. May obtain specimens.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Cleans, disinfects, or calibrates scopes or other endoscopic instruments according to manufacturer recommendations and facility standards.
- Performs safety checks to verify proper equipment functioning.
- Maintains or repairs endoscopic equipment.
- Collects specimens from patients using standard medical procedures.
- Assists physicians or registered nurses in the conduct of endoscopic procedures.
- Prepares suites or rooms according to endoscopic procedure requirements.
- Places devices, such as blood pressure cuffs, pulse oximeter sensors, nasal cannulas, surgical cautery pads, and cardiac monitoring electrodes, on patients to monitor vital signs.
- Conducts in-service training sessions to disseminate information regarding equipment or instruments.
- Attends in-service training to validate or refresh basic professional skills.
- Positions or transports patients in accordance with instructions from medical personnel.