Operates machinery to install roof support bolts in underground mine.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Drills bolt holes into roofs at specified distances from ribs or adjacent bolts.
- Forces bolts into holes, using hydraulic mechanisms of self-propelled bolting machines.
- Removes drill bits from chucks after drilling holes and inserts bolts into chucks.
- Tests bolts for specified tension, using torque wrenches.
- Positions safety jacks to support underground mine roofs until bolts can be installed.
- Positions bolting machines, and inserts drill bits into chucks.
- Rotates chucks to turn bolts and open expansion heads against rock formations.
- Installs truss bolts traversing entire ceiling spans.
- Tightens ends of anchored truss bolts, using turnbuckles.