Sells life, property, casualty, health, automotive, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as an independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
This career is part of the Finance cluster Insurance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Sells various types of insurance policies to businesses and individuals on behalf of insurance companies, including automobile, fire, life, property, medical and dental insurance, or specialized policies, such as marine, farm/crop, and medical malpractice.
- Interviews prospective clients to obtain data about their financial resources and needs, the physical condition of the person or property to be insured, and to discuss any existing coverage.
- Calls on policyholders to deliver and explain policy, to analyze insurance program and suggest additions or changes, or to change beneficiaries.
- Seeks out new clients and develops clientele by networking to find new customers and generate lists of prospective clients.
- Ensures that policy requirements are fulfilled, including any necessary medical examinations and the completion of appropriate forms.
- Customizes insurance programs to suit individual customers, often covering a variety of risks.
- Explains features, advantages, and disadvantages of various policies to promote sale of insurance plans.
- Calculates premiums and establishes payment method.
- Inspects property, examining its general condition, type of construction, age, and other characteristics, to decide if it is a good insurance risk.
- Performs administrative tasks, such as maintaining records and handling policy renewals.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.