Positions and secures steel bars or mesh in concrete forms in order to reinforce concrete. Uses a variety of fasteners, rod-bending machines, blowtorches and hand tools.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Determines quantities, sizes, shapes, and locations of reinforcing rods from blueprints, sketches, or oral instructions.
- Spaces and fastens together rods in forms according to blueprints, using wire and pliers.
- Positions and secures steel bars, rods, cables, or mesh in concrete forms, using fasteners, rod-bending machines, blowtorches, or hand tools.
- Cuts rods to required lengths, using metal shears, hacksaws, bar cutters, or acetylene torches.
- Places blocks under rebar to hold the bars off the deck when reinforcing floors.
- Cuts and fits wire mesh or fabric, using hooked rods, and position fabric or mesh in concrete to reinforce concrete.
- Bends steel rods with hand tools or rodbending machines and welds them with arc-welding equipment.