Interprets script, conducts rehearsals and direct activities of cast and technical crew for stage, motion pictures, television or radio programs.
This career is part of the Arts, A/V Technology and Communication cluster Performing Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Supervises and coordinates the work of camera, lighting, design, and sound crewmembers.
- Plans details such as framing, composition, camera movement, sound, and actor movement for each shot or scene.
- Directs live broadcasts, films and recordings, or non-broadcast programming for public entertainment or education.
- Confers with technical directors, managers, crew members, and writers to discuss details of production, such as photography, script, music, sets, and costumes.
- Compiles cue words and phrases, and cues announcers, cast members, and technicians during performances.
- Establishes pace of programs and sequences of scenes according to time requirements and cast and set accessibility.
- Identifies and approves equipment and elements required for productions, such as scenery, lights, props, costumes, choreography, and music.
- Consults with writers, producers, or actors about script changes, or workshop scripts, through rehearsal with writers and actors to create final drafts.
- Selects plays or scripts for production, and determines how material should be interpreted and performed.
- Studies and researches scripts to determine how they should be directed.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.