Dispenses drugs prescribed by physicians and other health practitioners and provides information to patients about medications and their use. May advise physicians and other health practitioners on the selection, dosage, interactions, and side effects of medications.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Reviews prescriptions to assure accuracy, to ascertain the needed ingredients, and to evaluate their suitability.
- Provides information and advice regarding drug interactions, side effects, dosage, and proper medication storage.
- Maintains records, such as pharmacy files, patient profiles, charge system files, inventories, control records for radioactive nuclei, or registries of poisons, narcotics, or controlled drugs.
- Plans, implements, or maintains procedures for mixing, packaging, or labeling pharmaceuticals, according to policy and legal requirements, to ensure quality, security, and proper disposal.
- Assesses the identity, strength, or purity of medications.
- Collaborates with other health care professionals to plan, monitor, review, or evaluate the quality or effectiveness of drugs or drug regimens, providing advice on drug applications or characteristics.
- Orders and purchases pharmaceutical supplies, medical supplies, or drugs, maintaining stock and storing and handling it properly.
- Analyzes prescribing trends to monitor patient compliance and to prevent excessive usage or harmful interactions.
- Advises customers on the selection of medication brands, medical equipment, or healthcare supplies.
- Compounds and dispenses medications as prescribed by doctors and dentists, by calculating, weighing, measuring, and mixing ingredients, or oversee these activities.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.