Teaches courses in drama, music, and the arts including fine and applied art, such as painting and sculpture, or design and crafts. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Teaching and Training pathway.
A person in this career:
- Explains and demonstrates artistic techniques.
- Evaluates and grades students' class work, performances, projects, assignments, and papers.
- Prepares course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Initiates, facilitates, and moderates classroom discussions.
- Maintains student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Prepares students for performances, exams, or assessments.
- Prepares and delivers lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as acting techniques, fundamentals of music, and art history.
- Plans, evaluates, and revises curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
- Compiles, administers, and grades examinations, or assigns this work to others.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.