Directs and participates in the preparation, seasoning, and cooking of soups, meats, fish, vegetables, salads, desserts, or other foods. May plan and price menu items, order supplies, and keep records and accounts.
This career is part of the Hospitality & Tourism cluster Restaurants, Food and Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations.
- Checks the quality of raw or cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Estimates amounts and costs of required supplies, such as food and ingredients.
- Instructs cooks or other workers in the preparation, cooking, garnishing, or presentation of food.
- Supervises or coordinates activities of cooks or workers engaged in food preparation.
- Inspects supplies, equipment, or work areas to ensure conformance to established standards.
- Orders or requisitions food or other supplies needed to ensure efficient operation.
- Determines production schedules and staff requirements necessary to ensure timely delivery of services.
- Checks the quantity and quality of received products.
- Determines how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.