Computes, classifies, and records numerical data to keep financial records complete. Performs any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
This career is part of the Finance cluster Corporate Finance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Operates computers programmed with accounting software to record, store, and analyze information.
- Checks figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, and proper codes.
- Classifies, records, and summarizes numerical and financial data to compile and keep financial records, using journals and ledgers or computers.
- Debits, credits, and totals accounts on computer spreadsheets and databases, using specialized accounting software.
- Operates 10-key calculators, typewriters, and copy machines to perform calculations and produce documents.
- Receives, records, and banks cash, checks, and vouchers.
- Complies with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Codes documents according to company procedures.
- Compiles statistical, financial, accounting, or auditing reports and tables pertaining to such matters as cash receipts, expenditures, accounts payable and receivable, and profits and losses.
- Reconciles or notes and reports discrepancies found in records.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.