Conducts research or performs investigation for the purpose of identifying, abating, or eliminating sources of pollutants or hazards that affect either the environment or the health of the population. Using knowledge of various scientific disciplines, may collect, synthesize, study, report, and recommend action based on data derived from measurements or observations of air, food, soil, water, and other sources.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Environmental Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Reviews and implements environmental technical standards, guidelines, policies, and formal regulations that meet all appropriate requirements.
- Provides scientific or technical guidance, support, coordination, or oversight to governmental agencies, environmental programs, industry, or the public.
- Collects, synthesizes, analyzes, manages, and reports environmental data, such as pollution emission measurements, atmospheric monitoring measurements, meteorological or mineralogical information, or soil or water samples.
- Communicates scientific or technical information to the public, organizations, or internal audiences through oral briefings, written documents, workshops, conferences, training sessions, or public hearings.
- Provides advice on proper standards and regulations or the development of policies, strategies, or codes of practice for environmental management.
- Prepares charts or graphs from data samples, providing summary information on the environmental relevance of the data.
- Conducts environmental audits or inspections or investigations of violations.
- Monitors effects of pollution or land degradation and recommends means of prevention or control.
- Designs or directs studies to obtain technical environmental information about planned projects.
- Analyzes data to determine validity, quality, and scientific significance and to interpret correlations between human activities and environmental effects.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.