Directs and coordinates activities of personnel engaged in preparation of radio or television station program schedules and programs, such as sports or news.
This career is part of the Arts, A/V Technology and Communication cluster Performing Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Plans and schedules programming and event coverage, based on broadcast length, time availability, and other factors, such as community needs, ratings data, and viewer demographics.
- Coordinates activities between departments, such as news and programming.
- Directs and coordinates activities of personnel engaged in broadcast news, sports, or programming.
- Monitors and reviews programming to ensure that schedules are met, guidelines are adhered to, and performances are of adequate quality.
- Checks completed program logs for accuracy and conformance with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules and regulations and resolve program log inaccuracies.
- Establishes work schedules and assigns work to staff members.
- Monitors network transmissions for advisories concerning daily program schedules, program content, special feeds, or program changes.
- Prepares copy and edits tape so that material is ready for broadcasting.
- Confers with directors and production staff to discuss issues, such as production and casting problems, budgets, policies, and news coverage.
- Develops ideas for programs and features that a station could produce.