Draws blood for tests, transfusions, donations, or research. May explain the procedure to patients and assist in the recovery of patients with adverse reactions.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Support Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Matches laboratory requisition forms to specimen tubes.
- Disposes of blood or other biohazard fluids or tissue, in accordance with applicable laws, standards, or policies.
- Disposes of contaminated sharps, in accordance with applicable laws, standards, and policies.
- Draws blood from veins by vacuum tube, syringe, or butterfly venipuncture methods.
- Draws blood from capillaries by dermal puncture, such as heel or finger stick methods.
- Enters patient, specimen, insurance, or billing information into computer.
- Organizes or cleans blood-drawing trays, ensuring that all instruments are sterile and all needles, syringes, or related items are of first-time use.
- Collects fluid or tissue samples, using appropriate collection procedures.
- Collects specimens at specific time intervals for tests, such as those assessing therapeutic drug levels.
- Transports specimens or fluid samples from collection sites to laboratories.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.