Makes exact measurements and determines property boundaries. Provides data relevant to the shape, contour, gravitation, location, elevation, or dimension of land or land features on or near the earth's surface for engineering, mapmaking, mining, land evaluation, construction, and other purposes.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Design and Pre-Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Verifies the accuracy of survey data including measurements and calculations conducted at survey sites.
- Searches legal records, survey records, and land titles to obtain information about property boundaries in areas to be surveyed.
- Calculates heights, depths, relative positions, property lines, and other characteristics of terrain.
- Prepares and maintains sketches, maps, reports, and legal descriptions of surveys to describe, certify, and assume liability for work performed.
- Directs or conducts surveys to establish legal boundaries for properties, based on legal deeds and titles.
- Prepares or supervises preparation of all data, charts, plots, maps, records, and documents related to surveys.
- Writes descriptions of property boundary surveys for use in deeds, leases, or other legal documents.
- Computes geodetic measurements and interprets survey data to determine positions, shapes, and elevations of geomorphic and topographic features.
- Determines longitudes and latitudes of important features and boundaries in survey areas using theodolites, transits, levels, and satellite-based global positioning systems (GPS).
- Records the results of surveys including the shape, contour, location, elevation, and dimensions of land or land features.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.